Monday, April 29, 2013

What about you?

          I encourage you to sit back and reflect on when the last time was that you did something for yourself.  When was the last time you put yourself first and other demands and people second?
        As we get older our responsibilities and demands increase and change.  All too often we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, that we put our needs to the wayside.
            It's time to reclaim yourself.  It's time to realize that your needs are just as important if not more, to the duties and responsibilities you have.
I lead a very busy life.  I work a full time job, have 3 kids, a man, and 2 dogs to take care of.  Being the female head of the house, I find myself often making sure everyone else and things  is taken care of before my own needs.   I know that when you make the commitment of having children, our needs and wants are put aside.  It's just second nature to nurture them and take care of them.  However we have to remember that our health , both mental and physical is extremely important.  How do you expect to take care of your family or responsibilities if you aren't taking care of yourself.  What good will you be for them, when your body gives out?
That is why we need to prioritize better.  Truly evaluate what's important.   Is taking a half hour or hour of your day to go for a walk to clear your mind or read a book really going to cause a huge issue?  Probably not.   I think that we are just so tired from running around taking care of everything else, our energy is just zapped.
That is why I decided to really take my health seriously and put it into action.   I know that when I am eating right and exercising I feel better.  I will gain more energy, be rested, and ready to tackle my other responsibilities full on.   Not only will I  be healthier physically by taking this time to myself, but the mental benefits will be amazing as well.
I often find myself extremely stressed.  With working full time third shift and trying to run a household during the day, my sleeping habits are not very good.  I am always tired and can become extremely cranky.  I become snappish and the littlest things can set me off.    Enough of that!  It's time to take control, and put my needs first.
It may sound selfish, but it's not.   If you take the time to take care of yourself, your new positive attitude will radiate and  project onto your family and friends.
If you're crabby, sick or tired all the time, do you think they want to be around you?  Do you think you are doing them any good?
       Do yourself and your family/friends/coworkers some good and start taking care of yourself!
It's easier said than done, that I know for sure.  And this is not something that will happen overnight, considering this is the lifestyle you've probably been living for awhile.  But it is possible!
       My first step in doing something for myself is getting back into my running.  When I was running daily I felt great!  I felt good, I looked good, and I enjoyed it.   It was my time, all by myself, letting my mind wonder, taking in the beauty of the outdoors.  Just breathing in the fresh air and knowing that at that time and place I had no cares, no worries, just complete solitude to regroup and refresh my body and mind.
Today marks the first day of my training for my race.  It happened to be a "rest" day, but tomorrow I pound pavement for the first time in a long time. I'm really excited!  I will get a good nights rest tonight and be ready for tomorrow.  No excuses!  Time to take control back and take care of myself!

What are you going to do for yourself?  Maybe read that book you bought that's collecting dust on the bookshelf?  Or maybe take a long hot bath with great smelling candles?!  Whatever it is remember you are the most important thing in your life.  Your family and friends need and want you at your best!  Enjoy yourself because YOU ARE IMPORTANT!


No comments:

Post a Comment